Greater Manchester Police have said they will never close the case of Moors Murder victim Keith Bennett, despite the death of Ian Brady.
Martin Bottomley, head of the force’s Cold Case Review Unit, said officers would act on “credible and actionable” information which would help them find the body of 12-year-old Keith.
He said: “Whilst we are not actively searching Saddleworth Moors, Greater Manchester Police will never close this case. Brady’s death does not change that.”
Mr Bottomley praised the “incredible dignity” of the families of the victims of Moors Murderers Brady and Myra Hindley.
He said: “I do not want to comment on Brady at all. The thoughts of everyone within Greater Manchester Police are with the families who lost loved ones in the most painful and traumatic way.
“It is especially saddening for the family of Keith Bennett that his killers did not reveal to police the whereabouts of Keith’s burial site. A week hardly goes by when we do not receive some information which purports to lead us to Keith but ultimately only two people knew where Keith is.
“I want to stress that our aim, as it always has been, is to find where Keith is buried and give closure to his surviving family members so they can give Keith the proper burial they so desperately want.”
The 79-year-old killer died on Monday, hours after he was urged to “do the right thing” and reveal where the last of his child victims was buried.
Brady was jailed for the killings of John Kilbride, 12, 10-year-old Lesley Ann Downey and Edward Evans, 17, in 1966.
He went on to admit the murders of Pauline Reade, 16, and 12-year-old Keith Bennett.
Glasgow-born Brady had been held at Ashworth High Secure Hospital since 1985 and died at 6.03pm.
A Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust spokesman said the serial killer, who used the name Ian Stewart-Brady before his death, had been on oxygen.
Brady was not found dead in his room in the Merseyside unit, the spokesman said, but he was unable to confirm if anyone was with him when he died, adding: “Quite possibly. I don’t know.”
Terry Kilbride, the brother of victim John, said he will still have to deal with the “nightmare” Brady has left behind.
He told the Sun: “It’s a lot to take in. It’s been years and years of anguish and pain for us and the families of the victims.
“But nothing will change. He’s dead but we will have to still live with the nightmare that he left behind.
“He’s ruined our lives all these years and he’ll still ruin it even though he’s gone. I feel numb.”