A furious mother says her family trip turned into “a day from hell” after her toddler son pricked his finger on a discarded needle in a Wetherspoon restaurant.
Amy Bate said two-year-old Oscar was hurt while playing under a table at The Glass House in St Helens, Merseyside on Sunday.
Amy wrote on Facebook: “Go to Wetherspoons for our lunch and Oscar climbs under the table and picks up something that looks like a lid, (told him it was dirty and to put it down) but too late as then Oscar tells me it has a needle and ouch it hurt him.
“Panic struck I ripped it off him and looked and lo and behold: a needle. It had stabbed his finger.
“Who the hell dumps used dirty needles under a table in a family pub where there are kids?
“We have spent the last few hours in hospital having to go through the stress of our son having blood tests and vaccines done for hepatitis and HIV!
“He now has to have repeat blood tests in another three months and then six months and more vaccines.
“I am absolutely livid! My child has been so distressed and is so not fair!
“These things just should never happen. As I say who uses a needle then dumps it under a table in a family pub!
“I am so angry and upset that our little boy has had to go through this and been put at risk! I’m praying all these tests come back negative. What an absolutely horrible day! My poor baby boy.”
FEEL FREE TO SHARE THIS STATUS!! So, what was supposed to be a nice family day turned into a day from hell. Go to…
Wetherspoon has apologised to the family, according to St Helens Star.
Company spokesman Eddie Gershon told the newspaper: “The manager at the pub and the company apologise wholeheartedly to the lady and her family.
“This is a horrible incident and obviously shouldn’t happen.
“The lady and her child shouldn’t have had to go through the trauma of having an HIV test at the hospital.
“The manager at the pub would like to offer the lady a £50 gift card for use at the pub.
“This in no way underestimates the situation that she faced.”