A temporary replacement for the fire–ravaged Mill o’ Mains Community Pavilion should be on site within a month.
And it has been revealed that the possibility of a completely new pavilion being built is also under appraisal.
North East councillor Brian Gordon told the Tele that the temporary replacement was approved under delegated powers earlier this week.
Mr Gordon said: “This is very welcome news, albeit long overdue.
“It was agreed under delegated powers that this can now go ahead.
“Members of the council’s planning committee will learn the news on Monday.
“I am hopeful that this means the temporary pavilion will be on site by December.”
“I am also delighted that appraisals called for by chief executive David Martin into the case for a permanent replacement for the pavilion have begun.
“This will obviously take some time, but at least the ball is rolling and the case for a replacement will be made.”
Mr Gordon said he had received queries from residents in Mill o’ Mains regarding the timeline and delay in providing a temporary pavilion.
He added: “They are asking why it has been possible for the council to provide temporary buildings at Braeview Academy so quickly but not at Mill o’ Mains?
“Residents are asking if the same criteria was used for the temporary modules as those that are under construction at the school and what the timeline of the pavilion application was.”
“There was concern that, 16 months after the fire, there was still no replacement for the pavilion which was a central focal point for the entire community and regularly used by local residents of all ages.”
Jim Malone, from Mill o’ Mains Tenants and Residents’ Association, said: “This is good news. Let’s hope it gets brought to the site soon and that we also get movement on a permanent replacement.”
A council spokesman confirmed approval had been granted subject to conditions.