Shoppers in the Overgate Centre have been forced to evacuate after an alarm sounded.
One woman contacted the Tele to say she was in New Look in the centre when a staff member said there was a “code one” and began ushering people out of the store around 2.15pm.
Staff were slowly being allowed back in around 2.30pm, the witness added.
Malcolm Angus, centre manager of the Overgate said: “A faulty smoke head in a back of house corridor led to an immediate evacuation of customers and retailers as a safety precaution.
“The centre reopened within ten minutes, and shoppers were welcomed, once it was established there were no risks.”