A man who won £10,000 at a tribunal after he was sacked by Dundee FC for being off work while battling cancer has launched a fresh action against the club and managing director John Nelms.
John Brown, who was then in the club’s commercial department, successfully pursued the Dark Blues on the grounds of disability discrimination in 2016 after he was sacked for being absent while suffering from life-threatening cancer. An employment tribunal awarded him more than £10,000.
But now Mr Brown, who runs events and production company The Longest Forty, is taking the club and American director Mr Nelms to a tribunal again – this time citing post-employment victimisation and harassment.
The action stems from a dispute over a Legends of the Ball – Champions 2013/2014 event which was due to take place at the Doubletree by Hilton on the outskirts of the city in February.
It is understood that Mr Brown alleges that Dens Park chief Mr Nelms contacted Hilton boss Richard Ellison and forced him to cancel the event – leading to a breach of contract – and said he was unhappy someone who was successful in a claim against the club was working alongside the hotel.
He also alleges Mr Nelms prevented current Dundee players Craig Wighton and Cammy Kerr from attending the event, despite them having already agreed to do so and having been advertised as appearing.
The event was cancelled and Mr Brown alleges this was due to his previous case against Dundee.
He now wants damages and alleges that Mr Nelms’ actions were maliciously motivated.
It is understood both the club amd Mr Nelms dispute Mr Brown’s claims and insist he did not intervene and that official permission was never sought for players to attend the event.
Dundee FC and representatives for Mr Nelms declined to comment.
Solicitor Ryan Russell, of Muir Myles and Laverty, confirmed he had been instructed to pursue a claim on Mr Brown’s behalf.
He said: “Due to the ongoing legal proceedings, it would inappropriate to comment at this stage on the specifics or merits of the claim. There will be no comment until the conclusion of the case.”
The case called at an employment tribunal on Friday for a preliminary hearing.