A March through the streets of Dundee will be held next month in protest against the city council’s proposed budget cuts.
The demonstration has been organised by Dundee Against Cuts and trade unions Unite, Unison and the GMB.
The protest, which is being held on Saturday February 10, follows the local authority’s announcement that it will have to make savings of £15.7 million in the coming financial year.
A demonstration was held earlier this month outside the city chambers.
Stewart Fairweather, of Unite, said: “The march has been planned for the weekend prior to the council setting their budget.
“We are hoping for a really good turnout. The details of the budget and where cuts will be made should have been made public around the same time.
“The workforce of Dundee has had the threat of millions of pounds in cuts hanging over their heads since October.
“The reason for the demonstration and this march is that we feel we could still impact the decisions that are going to be made.
“We are looking for the leaders of Dundee to stand up for the workforce and to say no to the proposed cuts, given the millions of pounds of cuts in recent years and the plans for still more.”
Mr Fairweather called for a big turnout and added: “Cuts to the council budget added to attacks on social security, the health service, price rises and wage cuts mean hard times for many Dundonians.
“Tens of thousands of people in Dundee are already living in poverty.”
Willie Sawers, depute convener of the policy and resources committee, said: “We will continue to do the very best we can for the people of this city and remain focused on our key priorities of jobs, social inclusion and quality of life.”
The march will start at 1pm from the Burns Statue, in Albert Square, before heading to City Square.