A mum recovering from pneumonia feared she “would die” after the council refused to send engineers to fix her gas because they believed she had coronavirus.
Katie Reid, 29, was without adequate heating for days after Angus Council turned her gas off on Monday.
The mum-of-one claims the authority had initially refused to send anyone out to fix the problem because they had mistaken her pneumonia for Covid-19 symptoms.
However, after the Tele approached the council on her behalf, the issue was subsequently repaired.
Katie, who lives in a council property in Arbroath’s Culloden Crescent, says she is still struggling to breathe but does not believe she has the virus.
Gas engineers acting for Angus Council switched off her supply on Monday night after a carbon monoxide alarm sounded.
>> Keep up to date with the latest news with Evening Telegraph newsletter
They were not set to return to turn it back on until next week – until the Tele intervened.
Katie said: “I’m so grateful honestly – I’ve no words. I’m just so ecstatic, you’ve helped me so much.”
Katie contacted the Tele on Tuesday afternoon one day after she had been left without gas following the suspected leak.
She said the council had provided her with camping heaters and a hot plate so she could warm water – but that they were not enough to heat her home and aid her recovery.
The Arbroath woman, mum to five-year-old Benn, said she wanted to be able to see her son again.
She said she was “freezing to death” and “scared” she would die and never see her “little angel”.
After also seeking the help of local councillor Lois Speed, engineers made an earlier than scheduled visit to repair her supply.
Angus Council said it is having to make “temporary provisions” such as camping heaters for tenants due to the ongoing public health crisis.
A spokesman said: “We know that people fully appreciate these are exceptional circumstances and maintaining a full repairs service with the current lockdown is not possible.
“We thank all our residents for their consideration and understanding.
“Contractors must consider the health and safety of their staff. Where tenants or families are self-isolating, we are looking to support them by not having contractors work in properties.
“While we will not go into further detail, the tenant concerned has heating, hot water and cooking facilities.”
Gas supplier SGN was contacted for comment.