Mum arrives at Dundee house party to see son, 16, thrown ‘like a rag doll’ by knife-wielding thug

Dens Road (stock image)
Dens Road (stock image)

A man who broke both a teenager’s wrists when he assaulted him while holding a knife has been locked up.

Del Ross, 20, who is detained at Polmont, threw the youth – then aged 16 – “like a rag doll,” police were told.

Dundee Sheriff Court heard the teen was at a party at the accused’s girlfriend’s flat on Dens Road on May 20 and 21 last year.

The teenager called his mother after an argument with another male. When she arrived, she saw Ross standing outside.

He went inside, grabbed the teen by the arm, pulled him into the close and a struggle ensued, the court heard.

During the struggle, Ross pulled at the youth and struck his head against the concrete wall of the close.

The teenager’s mother described the accused to police as having thrown her son about ‘‘like a rag doll.” She separated them and got her son free. He walked away but was chased by the accused who caught up with him, threw him on to the roadway and shouted at him. The accused then re-entered his girlfriend’s flat before re-emerging with a knife, the court was told.

He pursued the teen while holding the knife, caught up and pushed him, which caused the youth to fall backwards and put his hands out to break his fall.

Ross continued shouting and swearing at the youngster who had started to vomit, then threw the knife on to the roadway and walked back to the flat.

Police were called and they recoverd the knife but Ross had left the area, the court heard. The teenager was later taken to Ninewells Hospital where it was found he had broken both his wrists, which were put into plaster.

Ross was detained when he handed himself into Maryfield Police Station.

Sheriff Alastair Carmichael sentenced him to 15 months detention, revoking a community payback order which had been imposed for an assault in January last year.

Ross admitted that on May 21 last year, at Dens Road, he assaulted the teen, seized and forced him into the common close, struck his head against a wall, forced him into the street and threw him to the ground, pursued him, brandished a knife and pushed him, causing him to fall to the ground, to his severe injury.

He also admitted that he assaulted a woman by punching her on the head to her severe injury at Hilltown on June 25 last year, while on bail.