Workers at Michelin were the last to know their jobs had been scrapped, as the firm took four weeks to notify staff and held crunch talks with Scottish Government ministers.
Employees were called to an emergency meeting at the French firm’s Baldovie plant yesterday to confirm its closure by 2020, but it has emerged management made the decision nearly a month earlier.
Finance Secretary Derek Mackay confirmed Michelin notified the Scottish Government of the decision last Wednesday, five days before its 845 workers learned their fate. Michelin blamed “cheap Asian imports flooding into Europe” and a “growing trend of car manufacturers looking for smaller tyres”.
Factory manager John Reid said the decision was made by an executive team at the company’s headquarters on October 9.
He said: “The decision was validated on October 9 by the executive committee at Michelin and we have been working since then to try to organise ourselves ready for this very difficult communication, and obviously identify and understand what support mechanisms we can put in place to help our people at the end of this process.”
Mr Reid said staff had not been made aware of the situation sooner “because it takes time to prepare in an appropriate fashion so that we understand how we are going to support our teams”.
Marc Jackson, Unite Michelin convener, said: “It is important to stress to the workforce and the wider community in Dundee that Unite has a viable plan on the table. It is a plan that can work for the workforce and the company.”