Evening Telegraph

Man taken to hospital after fire in local flat

A man was taken to hospital following a flat fire over the weekend.

Emergency services were called to a property on the first floor of a block of flats on Princes Street, Perth, at 8.30am Sunday.

Two fire appliances and an ambulance crew attended and firefighters entered the property used breathing apparatus.

Smoke billowed from the property, which overlooks Breyfriar’s Cemetery, with witnesses saying the plumes could be seen from more than a mile away. It is believed the fire was confined to the kitchen, which has been left badly damaged by the blaze.

One man was seen being treated by paramedics in the street before being taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.

His condition was not thought to be serious.

A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue service said: “The crews used breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet. Once the fire was extinguished, they made sure the flat was well ventilated and secure before packing up.”

One neighbour said: “The building looks fine from the front, but you can see the damage from the graveyard. It looks like the kitchen has been left black with smoke.

“I really hope the guy makes a full recovery.”