A woman has described how she thought she, her partner and seven children were going to die after a fire broke out in their block of flats.
Rosemary Whyte described her terror at being trapped inside her four-bedroom flat in Main Street, Hilltown, after the fire broke out in the communal stairwell last night.
Rosemary, 35, said: “It was terrifying. I thought we were all going to die.
“When my fire alarm went off around 11.30pm I opened the door to the stair and was faced with a wall of thick, choking black smoke. There was no way out, we were trapped inside and petrified.
Rosemary said that she and her partner, Hugh Whyte, 29, had been in bed at the time with seven of the nine children that live with the couple.
“The kids are aged two to 19. We moved them all in the sitting room that was the only room not affected by smoke and opened the window.
“When we looked out I saw that our neighbours were jumping out their windows and one of our neighbours threw their two-year-old out the window.
“People were so scared.”
A spokeswoman for SFRS said a man in his 40s was found in a smoke-filled stairwell and led to safety by firefighters.
They added: “We attended a fire in a two storey block of flats in Main Street at around 11pm last night. Three appliances attended and firefighters used two hose reel jets and one safety jet extinguished the fire.”