Man, 22, arrested in Dundee sex assault probe

Bennan Gardens

Police have arrested a man in connection with an alleged sexual assault in Dundee.

The incident is said to have taken place in Broughty Ferry in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

THIS STORY HAS BEEN UPDATED: INQUIRIES CONTINUE AS MAN RELEASED

Forensics officers were seen combing Bennan Gardens and other streets in the surrounding area after receiving reports of the attack.

A spokesman for Police Scotland confirmed that a 22-year-old man had been arrested.

Residents in the Bennan Gardens area spoke of their shock.

Duncan Grigg, 34, a naval architect, said the alleged incident was “a bit close to home”.

He told the Tele: “I am shocked to hear what has happened.

“This is generally not a bad area. There is never really any trouble other than kids hanging about but it is never anything serious.

“It makes me a bit more worried that things like this are happening.

“I’m not usually bothered about going out by myself at nights but it obviously makes you a bit more concerned.

“It’s just a bit too close to home.”

Another local resident said that she didn’t want to let her children walk to school on their own.

She said: “I heard about it today and it was such a shock.

“I can’t believe it has happened in my area — it’s so close to home.

“I have four children and they want to walk to school by themselves.

“I just can’t let them as I don’t want to take the risk.

“It’s really hard as I want them to become more independent but I am too concerned about what might happen.

“It seems to be one thing after another just now.

“I have lived in the street for more than 10 years and nothing like this has ever happened in that time as far as I can remember.

“Everyone knows everyone in the street and all my neighbours are really lovely.

“I just can’t believe what’s happened — it really is shocking.

“It does make you so much more concerned, especially with young children.”

THIS STORY HAS BEEN UPDATED: INQUIRIES CONTINUE AS MAN RELEASED

Dundee sex attack: Door-to-door inquiries continue as man, 22, released

Breaking

    Cancel