Residents have spoken of their shock after a fire broke out in the communal stairwell of a block of flats in Dundee.
The incident took place at Arbroath Road in the Stobswell area of the city around 9pm on Wednesday.
Two Scottish Fire and Rescue Service engines were sent to the properties, which are at the junction with Albert Street, after the blaze was reported in the communal close.
Crews from the Kingsway station attended, using a hose reel jet and small tools to bring the incident under control.
One resident, Josh Foote, 27, said he feared the fire might have been started deliberately as he had spotted teenagers lighting matches shortly before.
Josh, who has lived in the close for three months, said that he could still smell smoke the morning after.
He said: “I was going out just before it happened.
“There were teenagers at the foot of the close and you could smell matches.
“My flatmate contacted me and said the fire crews had arrived really quickly.
“I don’t think it was bad enough to evacuate the properties but we were told to keep the windows closed for the smoke.”
Josh said the incident in the block had caused him some concern.
He said: “It does put me off living here.
“Unfortunately the secure entry at the door is broken as well.
“I’m just pleased the only issue we really have is the smell of smoke this morning.”
Another eyewitness, who had walked past the incident shortly after 10pm, added: “I was walking towards Albert Street when I saw the two fire trucks.
“There were at least six or seven crew members who I could see.
“At first I had thought that there had been some kind of incident at Dexy’s Bar as some of the punters were outside.”
Another resident who lives in a neighbouring block, said: “I was woken up by the sirens around 9pm.
“When I went down, someone said the bins in the close had maybe been set on fire.
“We don’t usually have issues with firebugs but there has been problems in the past with drug users accessing the blocks.”
A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “Two appliances attended from Kingsway after a small fire in the communal close.
“Crews used one hose reel jet, a PPV fan and small tools.
“Officers stood down at 10.12pm.”