‘I am a bit of a mess’ – Dundonian left with PTSD and blind in one eye by knife thugs in attempted murder at Perth

Post Thumbnail

A man has spoken out about the vicious knife attack which left him blind in one eye.

Rikki Millar was attacked by two men – one of whom tried to murder him – in Perth city centre last summer.

Rikki Millar

Rikki, 36, who is originally from Stobswell but now lives in Auchterarder, was on a work night out in the Loft nightclub when he decided to take a walk to get some air.

That’s when the attack happened.

One man, Fernando Dos Santos, pleaded guilty to his attempted murder. A second, Reuben Correira, admitted assault to severe injury.

Rikki said: “I don’t drink very often and was a bit worse for wear. I went for a walk to clear my head. I was walking along South Street and there were three guys standing outside a pub called the Auld Hoose.

“One of them started asking me if I had a cigarette and I told him I don’t smoke. He said: ‘You don’t ******* smoke’ and we started having an argument. And then his friends joined in with the arguing.”

Rikki added: “They were telling me to get away from the CCTV and I told them: ‘I’m very drunk and not that stupid’.

“One of the guys pulled out a knife from his bag and started shouting at me.”

Rikki then started walking away but knew he was being followed. He said: “It was well rehearsed.

“I was walking away when I was attacked and it all happened beside the RBS on South Street.

“They kicked and punched me and one kept kicking me while I was on the ground. I knew I was blind and screamed: ‘You blinded me’.

“I had been stabbed eight times but hadn’t realised until I took my T-shirt off after and saw the blood.

“They had run away and I was sitting in a total mess on the pavement, not really aware of what had happened. I turned to my right and the blood kept flowing out of my eye.

“There was so much blood and my eye was popping out of my head but no one was helping even although I was screaming for help.

“It was the kick which fractured my eye socket and the pressure pulled it away from the optic nerve.”

Rikki kept suffering on the pavement alone, with people walking past until Kenny McCulley, from Carnoustie, made an effort to help.

He said: “Kenny saved my life.

“He stopped and phoned the ambulance and I was taken to Ninewells. I wouldn’t be alive if it wasn’t for him.

“I was probably targeted because I was alone and look younger. I am quite a small-framed guy.”

Rikki’s stab wounds

Seven months after the brutal attack, Rikki has been unable to work full-time. He is now completely blind in his left eye, as well as suffering mentally from the trauma of the attack.

Rikki, who is undergoing treatment for PTSD, said: “Mentally I am a bit of a mess. I’ll never be the same person. I’ve lost my confidence in driving because I can’t see. I don’t go out or socialise at night anymore.”

Rikki says he now has to make adjustments like walking with his young children on his right-hand side to make sure they’re in his sight.

He added: “There are good and bad people in every walk of life and I happened to bump into the ones which were evil.

“I’ll never forget what happened but hope I can overcome it.”

Dos Santos pleaded guilty to a charge of assault to severe injury, permanent disfigurement, permanent impairment and to the danger of life and attempted murder at the High Court in Edinburgh on Friday.

Correira admitted a charge of assault to severe injury, permanent disfigurement, permanent impairment and to the danger of life. Both were remanded in custody for sentencing on February 22.