A family holiday to Spain turned into “hell on Earth” for an 11-year-old Dundee schoolboy and his mum.
Kaydn Buchan was only two days into his break to Benidorm when he was rushed to hospital with unexpected heart arrhythmias.
He was taken into intensive care where his heart had to be shocked five times to save his life.
Speaking from Kaydn’s bedside in hospital in Alicante, mum Hayley said: “It has been a nightmare. Hell on Earth.
“Kaydn had to be shocked five times while in hospital to prevent him having heart attacks. There were times when I thought I was going to lose him.”
After a month in hospital in Spain, Kaydn and his mum were due to be flown home to Scotland by air ambulance on Tuesday, where he will immediately be transferred to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow.
Hayley, 34, the manager of Whites Bar on Provost Road, said: “Kaydn and I just want home now. We still don’t know what caused Kaydn’s heart problems but hopefully they will get to the bottom of it in Glasgow.”
Hayley flew out to Benidorm with Kaydn and her mum Donna Buchan on July 1. She said: “On the night of July 2 Kaydn took unwell. He was finding it difficult to breathe and we went to the small hospital in Benidorm.
“We were suddenly surrounded by doctors and Kaydn was wired up to a heart machine.
“His heart rate shot up to 182 and despite using medication the doctors couldn’t get it to come back down.
“Kaydy was shocked with a defibrillator five times in total in an effort to save his life before his heart rate returned to normal.”
She said he was then rushed to hospital in Alicante where he remained in intensive care until a week ago, when he was transferred to the cardiology unit.
Hayley was keen to get Kaydn home but doctors said he would have to travel via air ambulance.
Hayley said she was grateful to friends, family and pub customers who had raised more than £3,000 to help the family.
“Straight away my friends and family got together and began fundraising,” she said. “They have raised almost £3,300 which has really helped.
“I have been staying in a hotel but sleeping in hospital with Kaydn overnight.”
Hayley said that throughout the ordeal her older son, Kai, 17, had been at the family home in the Hilltown.
“This has all added to the stress of the situation for all of us,” she said. “When we get back to Glasgow I will be able to see him for the first time in a month.”
Hayley also criticised holiday insurers Get Going Travel over delays to the family’s return home.
She said: “Only now are we getting flown home. I was told it was going to happen on Saturday past but they let us down at the last minute.”
A spokeswoman for Emergency Assistance Facilities, on behalf of Get Going Travel, said: “We can only sympathise with the distressing time Kaydn and his family have experienced.
“Our emergency team have been liaising with the hospital and doing everything they can to ensure Kaydn gets the best possible treatment and care.
“Our medical team are working with the patient’s best medical outcome as priority. This has been a complex case and we have not made any decisions that in the opinion of our travel and aviation medical specialists could add further complications to Kaydn’s recovery or general health.
“We have been working hard to arrange repatriation to the UK. This takes time to ensure all measures are in place for his safe return home. We are pleased to confirm his return has been planned for Tuesday.”