A young woman said she was left shaken after finding a man passed out and surrounded by drug paraphernalia in a city centre car park.
Rebecca Stewart, 22, was returning to her car on Monday when she discovered the man slumped over in the third floor of the stairwell of Bell Street car park.
The call centre worker from Stobswell said she was scared of waking the man in case he was “unpredictable”.
She said: “I wasn’t expecting to see anyone and my first thought was to see if they were OK.
“I saw a broken spoon with brown stuff in it, a lighter and he had a McDonald’s bag full of needles and tinfoil. I just gasped and froze. I didn’t know how to get past him.”
Rebecca posted a picture of the man on social media and warned people not to use the car park.
She said: “It was such a shock. I was really frightened because he could be unpredictable.
“He was completely passed out and his head was moving about like a bobble head.”
Rebecca added: “I pay a lot of money to park there and I shouldn’t be scared to use it.
“It’s not lit up in there either and kids could be coming in and out with their parents.”
She said there are often spoons and needles on the window sills of the staircase.
Her partner, Joe Pullar, 24, reported the incident to Dundee City Council, whose staff sought assistance for the man. Joe said: “These kind of situations have been happening for years and nothing is being done.
“Could you imagine if children with their parents walked past while someone was slumped over using drugs? It’s disgusting.”
A council spokesman said: “There are regular security patrols at the West Bell Street multi-storey car park, and we will contact Police Scotland about any issues that are reported to us.
“We take the safety of people using the car park extremely seriously and we are looking at ways to further improve facilities in the building.”
Sharon Brand, of Recovery Dundee, said: “He was probably someone who lives either in a homeless shelter or on the streets and was using the car park for convenience.
“You’re never going to stop people taking drugs so the first step is a treatment service which is fit for purpose and, at the moment, that isn’t the case.”