Scottish ministers have given the go-ahead for the conversion of Arbroath’s Baltic Mill into flats.
Built in 1861 as a linen weaving factory, the mill was owned by town businessman Andrew Lowson but ended up on the market following some ill-judged overseas investments by Lowson’s sons following his death.
In 1948, the firm was wound up, with Baltic Works finding a new role as a whisky bond.
The property lay empty for three decades until Angus Council’s development standards committee recently approved proposals for 24 new flats on the Dens Road site.
Cullross Developments, which specialises in affordable housing, took on the development for its client, Hillcrest Housing Association.
The building is one of the few remaining examples of the town’s industrial history and was given A-listed status in 2003.