A dog owner has warned of the dangers of giant hogweed growing wild in Perth after her pet was left badly burnt during a walk.
Leonie Leaver said her Staffie-cross Katana returned with horrific scabs on her chin after running through the toxic weed in the North Muirton area.
Ms Leaver, 34, said huge patches of hogweed had appeared in fields near her home in the Gislay Place area and at Woody Island.
She reported the problem to Perth and Kinross Council officers, who told her they were unable to help because the weed is growing on privately-owned ground.
“Katana is on the mend,” she said. “There’s not even warning signs to let people know the plant is there. It’s really worrying because there are always children playing down there in their shorts and T-shirts.”
A council spokeswoman said: “We can take action if the hogweed is on our land. However, if it’s on private land the responsibility for dealing with it lies with the landowner.”