Firefighters forced their way into a Dundee flat amid fears someone was trapped inside.
The drama unfolded in Menzieshill on Saturday after neighbours reported smelling smoke.
Some of them also reported seeing smoke billowing out a first floor window of a block of flats in Forth Crescent.
It later transpired the occupier had left a pan of meat on the cooker while she went out to walk her dog.
The occupant of the flat told the Tele she was embarrassed by what had happened.
Marta Chichel, 39, an English student, said the first she knew about it was when she got a phone call on her mobile phone.
Marta said: “I was out walking the dog and had left my meal cooking.
‘‘The next thing I knew I got a phone call to say the fire brigade was breaking down the door to my flat.
“I think there was concern that I was still inside and could have been overcome with smoke.
“I hurried back but by the time I got there it was all over.
‘‘The only person left was an engineer fitting a new lock to my door.
“I’m a bit shocked and embarrassed by all the fuss but I suppose it could have been a lot worse.
“My cat was still in the flat but she is all right.
‘‘There’s no real damage to my flat and fortunately there were no casualties.
‘‘I can’t believe what a massive response there was.
‘‘I’m a bit gob-smacked really but I don’t suppose they knew until they got into my flat what had happened.
“My neighbour was genuinely concerned and did the right thing phoning the fire brigade.”
Another neighbour said they became aware of the drama when they saw the fire brigade arriving.
He added: “There were three fire engines and police outside.
“To begin with I was concerned that something awful had happened, particularly when I saw the fire officers putting a ladder up to a window.
“I think they were worried someone inside the flat had been overcome with smoke.
‘‘They also battered down the door to gain entry.”
A spokesman for the fire brigade said: “We received a call at 12.58pm to attend a fire at a first-floor flat in Forth Crescent in Menzieshill.
‘‘A pot of meat which had been left on the cooker had begun to burn.
“Three appliances attended and officers used two breathing sets, one ladder, one hose reel jet, one cooling jet and one CO2 jet to fight the fire.’’