A dad says his family are living in a “nightmare” because of drug addicts in their block of flats.
Barry Lamont and his partner Gemma Martin don’t let their sons D-Jay, 8, and five-year-old Rudi play outside in case one of them stands on a used needle.
Barry, 26, recently had to report a dirty syringe found on a window ledge outside his first-floor flat in Hilltown Court by Rudi.
On other occasions, drug addicts have appeared at his door and one even walked into the house “off their face” and handed Gemma, 25, money, thinking she was a drug dealer.
The couple believe that dealers may have previously lived in the flat, or addicts are confusing their house with one on another floor.
Barry said he was also aware of at least one alleged dealer on another floor of the multi.
He said: “It’s absolutely disgusting to do that and leave the needle behind. Anything could have happened.
“If Rudi had been pricked by it we would have had to wait to see if he had been infected by HIV or hepatitis.
“Other times I’ve found other paraphernalia such as cling film or tin foil that’s been burnt to smoke heroin.”
While praising the concierge team provided at the multis by Dundee City Council, Barry – who is a full-time parent with Gemma – said the authorities seemed unable to battle the scourge of drugs in the flats.
He said: “The concierge team is great but don’t seem to be able to do anything. One of them told me he found 22 needles in the grass at the bottom of the flats one day.
“He thought folk had been chucking them out of the window.
“We don’t let our kids play outside – it’s just not safe.
“I think our only solution now is to move out to get away from it. Someone even walked into the house off their face and handed Gemma £20, asking for drugs.”
Barry said that Rudi had slipped on urine in their close and on one occasion someone had even defecated on the stairs.
Earlier this month, the Tele reported that Hilltown Court resident Mateusz Ziewiec, 21, took direct action to stop drug users knocking on his door by putting up a sign telling them he is “no drug dealer”.
A council spokesman said specialist staff dealt with drugs waste and problem sites were identified.
He added: “We work to reduce the amount of needle litter by identifying problem areas through reports received about discarded needles.
“These areas are then targeted to raise awareness and identify the people responsible so they can be educated on the best way to dispose of their used needles safely.
“No one should attempt to lift a discarded needle themselves.”
Residents can call the council’s rapid response team to remove used needles, 24 hours a day, on 01382 433063.