Dundee woman ‘snapped’ and drove into three teens after milkshake was thrown at her windscreen

Catherine Sutherland
Catherine Sutherland

A woman “snapped” and rammed three teenagers with her car after one of the youths threw a milkshake at her windscreen, a court has heard.

Catherine Sutherland, 35, had remonstrated with a group of youths over claims they had been bullying a member of her family.

After returning to her car, one of the youths spat on her windscreen and threw a milkshake over the vehicle.

Catherine Sutherland

Dundee Sheriff Court heard Sutherland then accelerated towards the group, hitting and injuring three of them.

Depute fiscal Syma Rasheed said Sutherland had received a call from a family member asking to be collected from the city centre.

When she arrived on Reform Street, Sutherland exited her car and confronted the group and an argument ensued.

“The accused got back in her car and closed the door and at this time one of the group spat on the windscreen and threw a milkshake over the front of the accused’s vehicle,” the fiscal said.

She said Sutherland, of Finlaggan Terrace, Fintry, accelerated on to the pavement and struck three of the teens, causing them to be thrown backwards.

One of the youths was seen to be hobbling in pain while another was on the pavement holding her leg.

Their injuries were not serious although two were taken to A&E to be checked over.

Defending Sutherland, solicitor Douglas McConnell said: “They were shouting and harassing her and her family and had been doing it beforehand, too. Something just snapped.”

Mr McConnell added that the incident has had a significant effect on her and she attempted suicide in January this year.

First-time offender Sutherland admitted that, on December 4 last year, at Reform Street, she assaulted three youngsters while driving, reversed her vehicle, accelerated towards the pavement, mounted the pavement, drove towards the teenagers and collided with them, to their injury.

Sheriff Alastair Carmichael deferred sentence until August 30 and continued her bail order.