Dundee woman blasts Mercedes driver who collided with pint-sized pooch Lulu and drove off

Cally Wright’s dog, Lulu was hit by a man driving a silver Mercedes who drove off

A Dundee woman has blasted the driver who she says didn’t stop after his car collided with her pint-sized pooch — breaking its leg.

Cally Wright’s two-year-old dog Lulu was startled by a silver Mercedes and leapt out of her mum’s hands in front of the vehicle on Ballindean Road, Douglas, as they prepared to get out of their car.

The Chug — a cross between a chihuahua and a pug — was taken to the vet, where it was found she had suffered a broken leg in two places.


The diminutive dog is now recovering at home, but vets say that she isn’t out of the woods yet.

If the healing process doesn’t go to plan, Cally, 21, who lives in the Whitfield area of the city, said that Lulu could lose her leg.

The mental health nursing student said she had reported the matter to police.

She said: “My mum was just screaming. The driver knew it had happened because he slowed down.

“It was like he got a fright and drove away again. My mum picked up Lulu and she was taken to the vet. They had to operate — her leg was broken in two places.

“If she doesn’t calm down and rest then it will need to be amputated. She is so little, it is such a shame on her. She has just been sitting in her bed.

“It is horrible to see her like that —she is so tiny and is in a lot of pain.”

Cally said she fears Lulu will be too active to allow the broken bone to heal properly.

Cally said she was “furious” in the aftermath of the incident and believes the car was travelling too fast for the road, which is often narrowed by cars parked on one side.

She added: “Lulu is like my child. It’s horrible to see her like this — she’s only two and she is so little.

“This is going to have a big impact on her.

“Even if the driver had just stopped and said he was sorry — that is the worst thing about it.”

Cally added she had to pay a “significant” vet bill.

Lulu will return to the vet for a check-up in the near future.

Police Scotland were contacted for comment but hadn’t responded at the time of going to press.