Evening Telegraph

Dundee teen who stabbed boy, 13, in party attack locked up

Connor Woods (left) and Michael Smith

A teen dad who stabbed a schoolboy after drunkenly bursting into a party was locked up.

Connor Woods, 19, who is currently in Polmont Young Offenders’ Institute, admitted attacking the boy – aged 13 at the time – at an address in Dundee last October.

He and co-accused Michael Smith, also 19, of North George Street, forced their way into the property before brandishing weapons.

Connor Woods

A judge at the High Court in Glasgow described their actions as “disgraceful”.

The court heard that the pair forced entry to the house, shouting and swearing.

Woods admitted that he attacked the boy after forcing his way into a bathroom, making threats of violence, holding a knife against his face and stabbing him.

Smith pleaded guilty to possessing a firearm or imitation firearm with the intention of causing the same boy to believe unlawful violence would be used against him.

The court heard the pair reacted violently after Woods had been assaulted earlier in the night.

Representing Woods, Frances Connor said her client recognised the impact his actions – triggered by alcohol misuse – had had on his victim.

She said Woods struggled to remember what happened on the night and had been attacked with a stun gun and a bottle earlier that day.

She added: “This has been very much an awakening for him as to where his life is going. His main concern is not himself but the effect his actions will have on his child.

Michael Smith

“He began to drink more. It was around the time he became a father. It seemed to bring up difficulties from his own past.”

Woods also admitted brandishing a knife and behaving abusively in a separate incident on Fintryside on April 14 this year, while on bail, as well as struggling with police and breaching a curfew.

Solicitor-advocate Kris Gilmartin said Smith had “no excuses” for his actions and was “thoroughly ashamed”.

Judge Lady Stacey said: “That behaviour is disgraceful and I accept from what I have been told that you now recognise that behaviour is disgraceful.”

Woods was sentenced to four years’ detention in a young offenders’ institution while Smith was sentenced to three years’ detention. Smith was also given a 12-month supervised release order.