A Dundee shop has removed a batch of formula milk from its shelves as a precaution following a complaint from a customer who claims her baby became ill after drinking the “curdled” liquid.
Lorraine Scrimgeour, 34, purchased Cow & Gate first stage from birth milk at Babies R Us, Kingsway West, to give to her daughter Amy.
Shortly after, the 14-week-old was said to have become sick with an upset stomach.
The mother-of-two, from Douglas, noticed the product was “curdled” and had a “strong smell” despite still being in date.
Cow & Gate is investigating the complaint after Lorraine sent a sample of the milk for testing.
A spokeswoman confirmed it was an “isolated complaint” rather than an issue with the rest of the batch.
Lorraine said: “I didn’t notice the milk was curdled straight away. It comes ready-made in a bottle and you pour it into another bottle to give to the baby.
“Amy kept pushing it away but in the end she drank a couple of inches of it. She got a very upset stomach, which is unusual for her. She cried for 25 minutes straight.”
Lorraine added: “I took her to the out-of-hours doctor to be checked over and luckily she was OK in the end, but it was a scare for me.
“I took the milk back to the shop and was offered a refund, which was fine, but I’ve been put off buying this product again.
“I wouldn’t want this to happen again to my daughter, or to anyone else’s baby. I’m now waiting on answers from Cow & Gate.”
A spokeswoman for the company said the issue could have been caused by a faulty seal but a more definitive answer will be sought.