DUNDEE MURDER TRIAL: Witness says Gary ‘died twice’ as she fought to save his life

A woman has told a murder trial of her desperate attempts to revive a man she found lying in a Dundee street.

Kim Heaney, 51, said 44-year-old Gary McMillan “died twice” as she and a colleague fought to save his life.

She claims Arran Fender, 31, threw a knife near where Mr McMillan lay on the ground before saying: “He thought he was a hard man. He deserves everything he got.”

Gary McMillan

The evidence was given on the second day of the trial against Fender at the High Court in Edinburgh. He denies murdering Mr McMillan on May 16 2017 at the junction of Lawton Road and Lawton Terrace.

Ms Heaney, a social care response worker, said she was on duty with colleague Michael Dunbar near the Lawton Centre at around 2.20am before being attracted to noise nearby.

She said: “As we drove up, we noticed there was someone lying in the middle of the road.

“After a couple of attempts, he was able to say his name was Gary.

“There was lots of blood going right down the road.

“We then heard a gentleman shouting.

“He was just on the pavement across from where we were.

“He said, ‘He thought he was a hard man. He deserves everything he got’.”

Lawton Road in Dundee on Tuesday May 16

Ms Heaney said Fender continued to shout, but she was focused solely on attending to Mr McMillan.

The jury heard claims she was able to count five wounds on Mr McMillan’s body.

She said Mr Dunbar applied pressure to Mr McMillan’s wounds with paper towels retrieved from their work van.

She added: “We did first aid and CPR.

“He already died on us twice. There had been a pulse but he stopped breathing.

“We managed to get him back twice, but when the ambulance arrived, Gary was away at that point.”

Ms Heaney said Fender began walking further down Lawton Road attempting to put on a shoe after throwing the knife.

The High Court was shown photographs of a blood-stained knife which she identified as being similar to the one that was allegedly thrown by Fender.

Earlier in the trial, the High Court heard from 51-year-old Wendy Ross.

Jurors were told that Ms Ross was in a bedroom at her flat in Byron Street at around 2am when she heard shouting outside.

Ms Ross said: “At first, I heard someone shout, ‘Gary, I’m coming to get you’, then somebody was shouting that he was a warrior.

“I believe it was the same voice.

“I heard a smash and I got up to have a look. It sounded like a mirror being smashed.”

She told police in her statement a man was heard to shout: “I’ve killed him, are you happy now? Eh? Eh?”

Ms Ross told the High Court she subsequently saw a man wearing light-coloured trousers and a dark jumper walking down Lawton Road.

Prosecutors allege Fender inflicted blunt force trauma to Mr McMillan and repeatedly struck him on the body with a knife or similar instrument.

Fender is additionally accused of attempting to pervert the course of justice by giving his mother, Annie Hamilton, clothes and footwear he had been wearing when he allegedly stabbed Mr McMillan before asking her to dispose of them in a bin chute at Lansdowne Court.

Fender denies possessing a knife on May 15 and threatening Mr McMillan with a knife between February 1 and March 31.

The trial, before judge Lady Carmichael, continues.