Two Dundee men have described their lucky escape after a gas cylinder toppled and leaked as they drove their lorry down the Kingsway.
Gary Williams and his friend Shaun Ross were travelling along the road at 10.30am yesterday when one of two gas cylinders they were carrying slipped free from its restraint and fell over on the back of the flatbed van.
The valve opened and began releasing highly flammable propane gas.
The incident closed the Kingsway in both directions for over an hour.
Driver Gary, 25, of Eden Street, said: “I had a look in the back and I saw that the gas was pouring out.
“I told Shaun to get out and run. We just ran away from it.”
Shaun, 31, from Lochee, added: “It really was a case of flinging the door open and making a run for it. He ran one way and I ran the other. It was a close call.”
Gary is looking after his father Albert’s burger van business, A.W. Catering, while he holidays in Mexico. He was transporting the cylinders on the flatbed he uses for his gardening business until his dad’s return.
Eyewitness Stephen Bell, 30, from Kirkton, said: “I was coming along the Kingsway when the van went past and the container escaped. It went past and ended up further down the road and two guys got out and ran away.”
Response Sergeant David Gibson, of Police Scotland, said: “A flatbed truck was carrying two 19kg propane cylinders. One of the valves appears to have malfunctioned or opened, resulting in one of the cylinders leaking.
“The fire service were quickly on scene and ensured there was no danger to road users or nearby residents.
“The area was closed off and the fire service are emptying the cylinder. We would like to thank members of the public for their patience.”