A huge fire that burned a factory to the ground has cost more than £1 million in damages.
The former Wood Group building, in Baldovie Industrial Estate on Forties Road, was razed to the ground in the blaze which began just after 8pm on Sunday night.
Flames and smoke could be seen for miles around as firefighters fought in vain to contain the blaze.
Late yesterday afternoon the fire brigade and police were still at the scene with smoke still billowing out above the building, which was being used by Carpet Reclaim.
Yesterday the building’s owner said he believed the fire may have been started deliberately by a group of youths seen in the area.
Emran Amin, who also owns A1 Car Wash and Dr Moss cleaning, said: “They think it’s kids that started it, there’s always a lot kicking about here.
“The building was being used for carpet recycling, so there are a lot of carpets in there, they might have been what was popping.
“My tenant has lost about £250,000 worth of machinery, and he’s very upset. I’m devastated too. The building was worth about £1m – it was insured.
“We were actually about to sell it to our current tenant, but it’s been derelict for years. It is what it is, you can’t change it.
“The police are looking at CCTV to see what was happening. The building is always vandalised, it’s been vandalised for the last seven years.”
Yesterday afternoon hoses were still being used to dampen the wreckage to ensure the fire did not re-ignite again.
The road remained closed at both ends between Summerfield Avenue and Berwick Drive and traffic was diverted away from the scene.
Although Carpet Reclaim declined to comment when approached by the Tele, the firm revealed that the blaze could spell the end for the business on its Facebook page.
In a post, the company said: “It saddens us to think that there are some people out there who think it’s fun to set things on fire with no thought for the consequences.
“The risk to life of the firefighters and also to the livelihood and impact this has on our wee family.
“We are not sure if we can come back from this but where there’s a Darren (the business owner) there is a way.”
As the clear up operation continued, neighbours revealed they had watched in shock as the fire tore through the building.
Residents said they had been told by police to keep their doors and windows shut.
One local, who asked not to be named said: “The blaze was massive. I’ve never seen anything like it before.”
Another resident, David Robertson said: “Many of us watched in horror as the blaze burned all night.
“Yesterday mornng there was still loads of smoke and it seemed to get worse from time to time.
Police and fire service have been approached for comment,