A Dundee couple have described the moment they were faced with thick black smoke in their house.
Speaking at their home on Balunie Avenue in Douglas, the couple – who didn’t want to be named – said the incident had been very upsetting.
They managed to get out of the building by themselves and were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation but didn’t require to go to hospital.
The woman said: “I opened my bathroom door just before 4.30pm on Wednesday and was met with a wall of thick black smoke.
“I immediately called the fire brigade but our neighbours had already phoned in, having smelled the smoke before we did.
“Firefighters were on the scene quickly and dealt with the incident and there were no flames. We were given oxygen by an ambulance crew, but didn’t need to go to hospital.”
Neighbour David Reid, 46, said he was shocked when he got home from work to see fire engines outside his house.
He said: “I’m so sorry for my neighbours but thank goodness no one was hurt.”
A spokesman for The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said that two appliances attended at Balunie Avenue.
He said: “We got reports a house was on fire. One hose reel jet were used to fight it.”