Dundee City Council has set out plans to spend more than £50,000 on a new security fence at Braeview Academy.
A building warrant to erect a three-metre-high structure around the perimeter of the new portable classes on the school’s land was submitted this week.
Stewart Hunter, convener of the council’s children and family services committee, said following the fire last year, the council wanted to be “pro-active” in securing the area.
He said: “We are certainly being pro-active with this.
“There have been no issues at the site to date following the fire.
“We are certainly trying be cautious in our approach here.”
It was revealed last year that Braeview Academy was to become one of the “biggest temporary classroom” projects the city had ever seen.
More than 25 portable rooms have been installed on the school grounds following last September’s fire.
The perimeter fence is expected to be erected around the site where the former playing fields were located.
Within the application for a building warrant it was also revealed that there would be a 2.4m fence built around the bin store area on the grounds.
Mr Hunter added: “If the application is to be approved, the creation of the fence would have no impact on the school programme.”
Dundee City Council previously said £1 million was available to help with costs associated with the fire.
The school was extensively damaged due to the blaze which ripped through the building.
No one was injured during the fire but it meant major disruption for youngsters at the school.
Pupils were decanted to Baldragon Academy and Craigie High School following the incident on September 11.
But more than 570 pupils returned to the school in December after the temporary classrooms had been built for maths, English, science and drama.
Paul Clancy, executive director of the children and family services, said the area would also include a staff room and ICT suites for pupils.
He said: “This is one of the biggest portable set-ups we’ve had in Dundee.
“The accommodation we are returning to is of a very high standard.
“We will also have access to more of the existing school facilities than previously thought.”
A 15-year-old boy was charged in connection with the devastating fire which tore through the school. The teenager was referred to the Youth Justice Assessor with police inquiries ongoing.