Dundee bar ‘urged’ to communicate better with council to extend opening hours

Forgan's in Broughty Ferry
Forgan's in Broughty Ferry

The owners of a local bar have been urged to liaise with the council better if they want to stand a chance of opening later at weekends.

Forgan’s bistro on Brook Street in Broughty Ferry appeared before the city’s licensing board yesterday hoping to open until 2am on Friday and Saturday nights.

It often features live music shows until closing time at midnight but has faced resistance to opening later from resident Pauline Marks, who lives beside the venue and claims it is too noisy.

Licensing officers hit out at proprietors the G1 Group for failing to liaise with the council on its efforts to placate Ms Marks since they last appeared before the board.

Glaziers hired at G1’s expense have fitted her home with thicker windows.

However, in letters seen by the Tele, she insists the windows are not the issue and that noise can still be heard.

She wrote: “I have lost faith with this company.”

Licensing standards officers (LSOs) still have concerns about a flue which lets noise escape and at Thursday’s meeting they attacked G1’s approach.

One officer noted: “Quite frankly, you could dance in the alley.”

Council officers told the board today: “We have had no contact from Forgan’s or its representatives despite the fact we have been into Forgan’s and sent them letters. We’ve had nothing.

“As far as the objector is concerned, she still has concerns over the noise level. The noise wasn’t excessive but could still be heard outwith the premises.”

Forgan’s bosses have been trying to extend the venue’s weekend hours for several months. They were told in October that they could have a late licence – but only when Ms Marks was satisfied with the efforts taken to reduce noise in her home.

Chris Elton, a member of G1’S compliance team, said: “We have put in a number of mitigating factors such as soundproofing for the complainant. I apologise for the lack of communication.”

Licensing board convener Stewart Hunter deferred the case until the next meeting in April.
He told Mr Elton: “In the meantime, I would urge your staff to be in touch with the LSOs.”