Dundee 2-1 Rangers: O’Hara brace sees off Gers

Dundee sealed a second-straight victory over Rangers at Dens Park with a Mark O’Hara double seeing them off the foot of the Premiership table.

Second-half goals either side of a Josh Windass equaliser saw the Dark Blues up to 11th and subjected the Gers to a second defeat on the bounce.

Neil McCann made just the one change from the 0-0 draw with Kilmarnock as Josh Meekings replaced the suspended Darren O’Dea after his red card last weekend.

Goalkeeper Elliott Parish kept his place in goal with Scott Bain unavailable due to a combination of a dispute with the management and injury. The Englishman kept the Dark Blues’ first clean sheet of the season last week and he was called on again to keep the Gers at bay in the first half.

Within four minutes, Parish was in the right place as Kenny Miller headed straight at him from six yards.

Dundee, though, settled into the game and tested Gers keeper Wes Foderingham with both Faissal El Bakhtaoui and Paul McGowan trying their luck from range.

The home side, however, were giving the ball away too often, creating problems of their own making in the process.

They had Parish to thank once more just after the half-hour mark as Daniel Candeias sprinted clear of the Dundee defence but the keeper stood up big and blocked the effort.

He had not chance five minutes later, however, as Meekings turned a Candeias cross on to his own crossbar.

Rangers remained on top after the break but it was Dundee who had the first look at goal after Sofien Moussa, on for the injured Marcus Haber, pounced on a short backpass and set up Roarie Deacon but his shot was straight at the keeper.

Miller had the next effort on 55 minutes but Dark Blues keeper Parish was once again on his toes to push the ball past the post.

Midfielder O’Hara enjoys taking on Rangers, having scored the last two times he’s faced them and he made it three in three after pouncing on a loose ball in the box and hammering past Foderingham on 66 minutes.

The lead, though, didn’t last long as Windass lashed the ball beyond Parish four minutes later from the edge of the area.

Ten minutes later, Miller had the chance to give Rangers the lead after a Declan John counter-attack but fired wide before Dundee re-took the lead.

And it was that man O’Hara once more, latching on to a Scott Allan ball to find the corner with 10 minutes to go.

The Gers pushed for a late equaliser but Dundee held on comfortably to push themselves off the foot of the table.


Dundee: Parish, Kerr, Kamara, O’Hara, Aurtenetxe, McGowan, El Bakhtaoui, Deacon, Hendry, Meekings, Haber (Moussa 44).

Rangers: Foderingham, Tavernier, John, Wilson, Jack, Miller, Windass, Morales (Herrera 45), Candeias (Hardie 84), Holt, McCrorie.