Council worker discovers skip ablaze at local recycling centre

A fire engine outside the recycling centre.

Firefighters were called to a fire at a local recycling centre in the early hours of the morning.

The blaze in a skip at the Kirriemuir site at Bellies Brae was discovered around 6.30am by a council worker.

Ron Gibb, who also works at the Angus Council yard said that a pavement gritter driver discovered the blaze when he arrived for work.

Mr Gibb said: “The gritter driver was first at the yard and realised there was a fire in one of the skips.

“He called the fire brigade who were on the scene quickly and soon doused the flames.”

A passing dog walker said that a strong smell of smoke had alerted him to the fire.

He said: “There was a lot of smoke and when I looked across there were flames shooting into the sky from a skip in the recycling centre.”

A spokesman for the fire service confirmed they sent one engine to the scene.

The fire was quickly extinguished by firefighters.

Comments

Breaking

    Cancel