Legal action could be taken against the owners of an iconic Dundee jute mill which was razed apparently without full permission, the Tele has learned.
A report on the demolition of B-listed Halley’s Mill, on Broughty Ferry Road, will go before councillors on June 18.
The mill, also known as Wallace Craigie jute works, was knocked down on May 12 due to “safety concerns” under a warrant obtained under building standards.
However, the process for tearing down listed buildings is different and therefore the proper permissions were not in place.
The council confirmed it was undertaking an investigation into the demolition.
Mike Galloway, executive director of city development, said at the time: “Options for appropriate action are under consideration and a recommendation will be brought forward at the next meeting.”
Kevin Keenan, the council’s Labour leader, confirmed the local authority could take legal action against the owners, James Keiller Estates.
Mr Keenan said: “Mr Galloway has already stated in public that the council will be considering all options for taking action against the owners.
“One of these options is undoubtedly that the council will decide to take legal action against James Keiller Estates.
“The matter will be decided by councillors at the next meeting of the planning committee on June 18 when there will be a full report given on the matter.”
At the time of the demolition a spokesman for Craigie Estates Ltd, part of the larger James Keiller Estates, said it was forced to bring the mill down due to safety concerns about its deteriorating state.
A week after the demolition took place leader of the city council John Alexander confirmed that the mill was demolished without proper permission.
He said: “While there was a warrant obtained under building standards, the process for a listed building is different and, as such, no permission was obtained. After consultation with senior officers, I’m advised the relevant listed building permissions were not in place.”
The council approved a building warrant for the demolition of the former jute works in April after it had lain derelict for decades.
The building had been subject to a number of aborted regeneration attempts over the years.
Planning permission was granted to convert it into flats as part of a wider development in 2014, but never materialised.
James Keiller Estates failed to respond to a request to comment before the Tele went to press.