Backlash forces rethink of Stagecoach bus changes

Bus bosses are poised to backtrack on plans to make large-scale cuts to services in Perth following a public backlash.

The Stagecoach proposals, which included a merger of the 301 and 7 services, had been branded a “recipe for disaster”.

Campaigners calculated the 10-minute journey from Oakbank to the city’s South Street would take more than twice as long if the plans went ahead.

It was one of a raft of changes which are now being re-examined as the company sifts through responses to its public consultation on the shake-up.

Paul Thomas, managing director of Stagecoach East Scotland, said: “In particular, thanks to comments on our proposals from residents in the Oakbank area in Perth and following further discussions with Perth and Kinross Council, we have revised our 7/7A proposal which we believe will address the concerns raised.”

Mr Thomas said the firm appreciated that changes can be disruptive to regular customers but added: “They are necessary to maintain a quality public transport network in the area, within a challenging economic climate.

“We need to make sure we can offer a sustainable and reliable network of services long term, for those who rely on our buses and coaches.”

Any further changes will be confirmed at a later date, with implementation pushed back to November 20.

Comments

Breaking

    Cancel