Mistakes were made in the cases of two asylum-seekers accused over the killing of a German man that sparked large-scale far-right protests, the country’s leading security official has said.
Interior minister Horst Seehofer said poor communication between Germany’s migration office and other authorities meant the deadline was missed to return Iraqi Yousif A to Bulgaria, the country responsible for his case under European rules that say migrants must apply for asylum in the country where they first enter the EU.
Mr Seehofer said there were also co-operation issues between authorities in the case of Syrian Alaa S.
He said changes he has instituted in how Germany deals with migrants, including new centres being set up in border areas to process people quickly, should help stop similar failings in the future.
“Such delays and mistakes need to be prevented,” he said in a statement.
The men, whose last names were not disclosed, are being held on manslaughter charges over the August 26 stabbing of 35-year-old Daniel Hillig, which sparked anti-migrant protests in the city of Chemnitz that shocked many in Germany and beyond.
Saxony state authorities said they are seeking a third suspect in the killing, identified only as an asylum-seeker from Iraq.
Mr Seehofer’s comments came after he met the head of Germany’s migration office on Monday.
In another issue that came up, Mr Seehofer said Yousif A presented an Iraqi passport, citizenship documents and a national identity card to authorities on November 7 2017.
Those were determined to be fakes, but not until June 15.
He said that was due to a shortfall in specialised document experts available at the migration office — an issue he said had already been identified and is being rectified.