Jail for thugs who broke man’s jaw outside takeaway

North Lindsay Street.
North Lindsay Street.

Two thugs who fractured another man’s face in two places during a Dundee city centre attack have been jailed.

Omar Rafiq, 28, and Lee Murphy, 33, were both given prison sentences at Dundee Sheriff Court today after admitting assault to severe injury.

Rafiq, of Ladywell Avenue, was jailed for seven months and two weeks.

And Murphy, a prisoner at Perth, was jailed for 16 months and three weeks.

The court heard that the pair launched an attack on Paul Gordon in the early hours of December 17 last year.

Mr Gordon went to buy food from Corfu takeaway on North Lindsay Street, after a night consuming alcohol in city centre pubs.

Fiscal depute Saima Rasheed said: “The complainer left the takeaway and accused Rafiq approached him in the street and pointed at him.

“Rafiq then walked away from the complainer, but came back again and punched him on the right side of his head.

“The complainer staggered back, into the doorway of the shop.”

Mr Gordon’s nose was bleeding and he was given tissues by staff at Corfu.

At this point Murphy was seen on CCTV to gesture towards the takeaway, then approach Mr Gordon as he left the shop.

The fiscal continued: “Accused Murphy then punched the complainer on the left side of his face, which caused the complainer to fall back.

“Accused Murphy was held back from the complainer by his friends and the complainer got into a taxi.”

Mr Gordon attended A&E at Ninewells Hospital with two facial fractures — one in his cheekbone and the other in his

Rafiq and Murphy both admitted that while acting together they assaulted Mr Gordon by punching him repeatedly on the head, to his severe injury, at North Lindsay Street, on December 17 last year.

Solicitor John Boyle, defending Rafiq, said: “He had been drinking alcohol and offensive comments were made. He knows he should not have reacted in that way.”

Sheriff Simon Collins, addressing Rafiq, said: “You hold more culpability as you struck the first blow, but you have fewer previous convictions.”

The court heard it was Murphy’s third conviction of assault to severe injury.

An eight-month supervised release order will follow his jail term.