Dundee football hooligan banned from matches for two years

Post Thumbnail

A Dundee football “casual” has been banned from attending matches for two years.

And today the Tele can reveal 17-year-old Louis Harvey and his pals have apparent interest in the far right.

His Facebook page features a picture of Adolf Hitler and another showing a man making a Nazi salute outside a Dundee pub despite a warning from a friend that the post wouldn’t help his court case.

Dundee Utility member Harvey, of Fintryside, was issued with the two-year ban at Dundee Sheriff Court after admitting having an offensive weapon weighted knuckle gloves at Union Street on December 13.

The court heard Harvey wore the gloves as he and around 20 others challenged each other to fight in the city centre, shortly after a Dundee United versus Aberdeen game.

The incident involved many members of Dundee Utility a hooligan group that contains so-called followers of Dundee and Dundee United.

Fiscal depute Kirsten Thomson told the court Harvey was a “football supporter” and a member of Dundee Utility. The fiscal said: “Police were called to a large-scale disturbance around 6pm that evening on Union Street, having received reports of a group of people challenging each other to fight.

“There was in excess of 20 of them at the time. They were all dressed in casual-type clothing, dark clothing and jeans and caps, and the accused was amongst them.

“The accused was with others who also had scarves over their faces and they were all running about shouting things such as ‘come on then’.

“The accused was detained by police and had the gloves on at the time.”

However, she said Harvey claimed to have found the gloves, rather than taking them there, and that position was accepted by the Crown.

Solicitor George Donnelly said: “He accepts it was a football-related matter. These casuals are usually people who accumulate to shout and bawl at others, very rarely there is fighting, but he realises that sort of behaviour and amount of people can create quite a disturbance.”

Harvey also admitted a second charge of breach of the peace on the same day. Sheriff Elizabeth Munro said: “This sort of offence really does affect the community, it’s horrible to be caught up in something like this.”

On top of the banning order which prevents him from attending any professional football match Harvey also has to sign in at a police station one hour after kick-off in every Dundee and Dundee United match for a two-year period.

And he was ordered to complete 135 hours of unpaid work and placed under 12 months’ supervision.