Dog fills his boots, needs surgery

A dog in the US is recovering after surgery to remove parts of a pair of calf-high leather boots the animal had eaten.

The Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Centre in Philadelphia said the four-year-old mixed breed named Vince ate parts of both boots on Friday.

Vets said the volume consumed was so large that the dog’s stomach was unable to pass the material into the small intestines, so the pet underwent surgery on Saturday.

Specialists say surgery or endoscopy is often needed when dogs eat something they should not, since it can obstruct the digestive tract and perforate the intestines.

If pets are experiencing vomiting, lethargy or lack of appetite, it may be a sign a foreign object is present, and the animals should be taken to a vet as soon as possible.

Breaking