The UK’s worst burglary hotspot is in Dagenham, according to new research.
Analysis by the price comparison site MoneySuperMarket found that the RM8 postcode in the east London suburb had the highest rate of burglary insurance claims.
Those living in and around the capital are most likely to suffer break-ins, the study found, with 14 of the top 20 postcodes in London and Greater London.
South and West Yorkshire and Manchester also appeared in the top 20 highest risk postcodes.
Manchester’s M21 postcode, on the outskirts of the city, slipped from top spot last year to third position in this year’s top 20 burglary claims table.
Woodford and South Woodford (E18) in east London is the postcode with the fifth highest number of claims, while London’s sought-after suburbs of Teddington and Bushy Park (TW11) are also in the top 10.
Kevin Pratt, home insurance expert at MoneySuperMarket, said: “Our annual Burglary Claims Tracker reveals the nation’s burglary claim hotspots, and once again London and Greater London postcodes dominate.
“The research reveals Dagenham is the UK’s top burglary hotspot, with a rate of 55 out of every 1,000 insurance quotes having made a claim in the past two years.
“Burglars often target urban areas where there’s more hustle and bustle and so less risk of being caught, but not surprisingly they also follow the money, which is why affluent areas such as Teddington and Temple Newsam in West Yorkshire appearing in the top 20 claims hotspots.”
Postcodes in rural Scotland’s Dumfries (DG1) and Lochee (DD2), Felixstowe in Suffolk (IP11) and North Wales’s university town of Bangor (LL57) are among the areas with the lowest proportion of burglary claims in the UK, according to the analysis.
Those living in the seaside resort of Bognor Regis (PO22) can also feel secure, with a rate of 1.63 per 1,000 and Northern Ireland’s Londonderry (BT48), with just 1.36 per 1,000 insurance quotes showing a claim.
Mark Castle, chief executive of the charity Victim Support, said: “As a charity that supports thousands of burglary victims each year, we know how devastating an impact this crime can have and we are here to help.
“Victims tell us that they suffer far more than material loss when their home is burgled – the psychological impact of this crime can be drastic, long-lasting and different for everyone.”
The 10 postcodes named in the research as having the highest rates of burglary insurance claims are:
1. RM8 – Dagenham, Becontree, Becontree Heath, in Greater London
2. IG2 – Gants Hill, Newbury Park, Alborough Hatch, in Greater London
3. M21 – Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Barlow Moor, in Manchester
4. DN2 – Intake, Wheatley, Wheatley Hills, in South Yorkshire
5. E18 – Woodford and South Woodford, in London
6. RM11 – Hornchurch, Emerson Park, Ardleigh Green, in Greater London
7. TW11 – Teddington, Fulwell, Bushy Park, in Greater London
8. BD2 – Eccleshill, Five Lane Ends, parts of Undercliffe, Fagley, Wrose, Bolton Woods, Poplars Farm, Swain House, Ashbourne, in West Yorkshire
9. EN4 – Hadley Wood, Cockfosters, East Barnet, New Barnet, in Greater London
10. IG3 – Seven Kings, Goodmayes, Hainault, Chignell, in Greater London