Firefighters have warned residents to take care after an unattended candle caused a house fire in Montrose.
Scottish Fire and Rescue Service were called to the blaze at the home in the town’s Carnegie Street just after 9pm last night.
Firefighters in breathing apparatus quickly located the fire on the first floor and used jets to put out the flames. They then used a thermal imaging camera to check for signs of fire spread.
Thankfully no one was injured as a result of the fire.
Watch manager Mike Cassie, said: “This fire was caused by a tea light which had been left unattended for a short period of time in an upstairs bedroom. The incident highlights the fact that candles should never be left unattended.
“The property also did not have working smoke alarms fitted, which would have alerted the occupants to the presence of a fire much more quickly.
“We would encourage anyone who doesn’t have a smoke alarm to have one fitted immediately. Smoke alarms save lives.
“If you don’t have one then call Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and arrange a free Home Fire Safety Visit and we will provide you with a smoke alarm free of charge. It could save your life.”
He added: “I would also like to pay tribute to the crews who attended last night, many of whom are very young in service. The conditions inside the property were very challenging with a lot of thick smoke and intense heat. They did very well to contain the fire to the bedroom and prevent further fire spread.
“There was smoke damage within the property but the fire damaged was limited to the bedroom. Had it not been for their quick response the outcome could have been a lot more serious.”
You can find more information about home fire safety on the SFRS website.