Tayside doctors have raised concerns over legal highs after three people were hospitalised.
The patients had taken several times the recommended amount of legal high phenibut, leaving them suffering heart problems and confusion for 36 hours.
They were treated at Perth Royal Infirmary, where doctors found that one patient was consistently aggressive.
Following the incident, an email was sent out by the hospital’s lead clinical pharmacist Siobhan Reid to NHS Tayside staff, which was then forwarded on to Perth and Kinross Council’s social work department.
The overdose caused the three people to suffer bradycardia a very slow heart rate. They also had dilated pupils.
The email said: “Three patients were presented at A&E after ingesting 50g between them.
“They suffered confusion, dilated pupils and bradycardia for approximately 36 hours.
“One patient was treated with atropine for bradycardia, as they had very consistent levels of aggression at times.”
Perth councillor Peter Barrett, who is a member of the Consumer Protection Task Group for Scotland, said that people needed to realise the effects that the drugs could have, even though they are available legally in shops.
He said: “It is concerning and the consequences of legal highs can be serious.
“There are all sorts of concerns about them and they are marketed as normal drugs, but they don’t go through the same testing.
“People don’t know what they are getting and these products are mis-sold as not for human consumption, even though it is perfectly obvious that people are looking to ingest them.”
Earlier this year, a scheme by Perth shop This ’N’ That to offer a loyalty card for purchases of legal highs was described as “disturbing”.
The County Place store gave shoppers stamps each time they bought legal highs, with money off purchases when 50 was spent in a month.
Music festivals in the UK, including T in the Park, which is held at Balado in Kinross-shire, announced this month that they would ban the sale of legal highs.
In Angus, the Arbroath Against Legal Highs campaign has put pressure on shops in the town to stop selling legal highs, while more than 1,000 people backed the Montrose Against Legal Highs group.