Dundee man’s shock at seeing his car burst into flames

Post Thumbnail

A shocked Dundee man saw his car burst into flames just minutes after he left it.

Firefighters spent half an hour battling the blaze after 47-year-old Robert Herbert’s Nissan Almera caught fire while he was standing looking at The Black Watch war memorial at Powrie Brae.

Robert, from Kirkton, had walked away from the car with pet collie Blue two minutes before seeing smoke coming out of it.

By the time firefighters arrived five minutes later, flames were coming from the 10-year-old vehicle, which had started to roll away.

Robert said: “I was shocked by it.

“Luckily I’d parked up rather than it happening when I was driving it had just been two minutes since I’d got out of the thing.

“I got out of the car and I was sitting at the monument with the dog running about.

“I looked over and just saw smoke coming out of the top, and next thing it started to roll.

“I got on the phone to the fire brigade and they came to put it out. It had already taken hold within the five or 10 minutes it took them to come, and then they were fighting it for about half an hour.

“There were flames coming out of the side of it, and the front windscreen was blown and there were flames coming out through that.”

One fire crew attended from the Kingsway East station.

Watch manager John Wade said there was one hose reel used.

Robert said it could have been a lot worse if the fault had caused the blaze while he was driving.

He said: “It could have been really dangerous.

“I had only just been on the Forfar Road before I got out.

“They said it was probably started by the electrics.

“They said it’s a write-off.

“The dashboard and everything are all melted, the windscreen is blown and the air bags deployed as well.

“The firefighters had to go back to it a second time as well because it started smoking again.”

A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “We attended a car fire at Emmock Road.

“The driver managed to get out of the car uninjured before crews arrived.”