Emergency services raced to a chemical incident at a Dundee hotel today (Tuesday).
The fire brigade was called to a gas leak at the Hilton DoubleTree, off Kingsway West, shortly after 7.30am.
Three ambulances rushed to the scene and Dundee police were also alerted by Fire Scotland to an “apparent release of gas”.
The fire service confirmed the incident involved a chemical mix in the hotel’s plant room, next to the swimming pool.
It is understood chlorine gas had escaped from the leisure area.
A full scale evacuation of the hotel was carried out by staff and firefighters.
All 67 guests, staff and gym users left the building under emergency service direction and were not allowed back in for two hours.
A spokeswoman for Fire Scotland said: “No casualties have been reported, but the ambulance service was informed and attended the incident.
“We remained on-site to ventilate the area.”
Guest Tim Gilbreath, 52, on holiday from Oklahoma, said: “We heard the fire alarm around 7.30am and everyone was evacuated closer to 8am.
“We don’t really know what’s going on but the hotel staff have been really helpful. Around 9.30am all the guests were invited back into the hotel.”
Another guest said: “The evacuation went well but I am looking forward to getting back in as it’s chilly out here.”
Visitor and guest cars were being turned away at the hotel gates as rescue services investigated.
The DoubleTree’s general manager Richard Ellison confirmed a potential chemical incident had taken place.
He said: “We had fire engines on-site. We carried out a fire evacuation involving the whole hotel.
“We are still investigating exactly what happened.
“We have had great support from the fire brigade and our guests have been very understanding.”